Friday, February 6, 2009

Laptwo in process

Well, in spite of spending tons of time on the computer I still made some headway on the second top. Here it is on the design wall with the batting that it clings to without pins showing in between the not yet completed segments. Not too much more to go, should have it finished Monday.

The grey around the edges is my design wall.

I won't be getting back to it until at least Monday, as I have a Metalsmith class tomorrow.

The randomness of the piecing technique is almost meditative for me. I focus more on the space needing to be filled then any block pattern. Working on the design wall is an important factor in this technique. If you don't have one, you might want to give it serious consideration.

Even if you don't think you have enough space there are several methods for making your own portable one. Here's a link to a method suggested by Melody Johnson, and I just found this one on-line Cheryl Ann's Design Wall.

As I work on these pieces I am engaged in a conversation with myself about art versus functional art. Is there really a difference? My goal for these pieces is that after the exhibit they would be sought out for their ability to function beyond wall art. Thrown across a bed one would serve a dual purpose. A piece that adds color and beauty to the room as well as a wonderful artwork to keep legs or lap warm while curled up in a chair with a good book, or during a medatative time.

Why is this important? It's about the finishing of the edges. I much prefer no TRADITIONAL binding on my smaller work and generally do a pillowcase finish, a raw edge finish or a fused finish. The only one of these that I feel could be washed is the pillowcase method. I think I've just made up my mind.

What's your opinion? Posted by Picasa

No comments: