Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Images in Art

I’ve been a fan of Ann Baldwin’s collage paintings for many years. When I began making Art Quilts I focused my research on artists accomplished in that venue and even misplaced her website address for a time. This past year I “went back” to doing mixed-Media collage. First I was fascinated with altered books, artist journaling, and even spent a month making a collage-a-day for 28 days. My desire to include imagery & text in my work has been in the recesses of my mind for a long time, particularly my own imagery. After several unsatisfying attempts to print my digital photo images on cloth, I gave up. This took place BEFORE the pre-treated fabrics for ink-jet printers were even on the market. I did buy the Bubble-Jet-Set, but I tend to be to impatient to plan far enough ahead to get that all ready to go, so never tried it. I do have the bottles here in a cupboard somewhere. I tried out the t-shirt transfers, but they were too plasticky to suit me. I bought Claudine Helmuth’s book and tried the packing tape and contact paper technique, but again, didn’t really favor that slick surface on fabric. So, back to the beginning. I knew I wanted Ann’s new book the minute I knew about it and planned to order it from Amazon, but in order to get free shipping, I would need to order additional books but didn’t quite know for sure which ones I might find helpful. So a trip to the Barnes & Noble was required. You see the results above. I’m anxious to see what happens next. I have been taking digital photos of road signs and such that I plan to take to Office Max and get printed with a color laser. Am anxious to see what happens next.

No comments: